THE 2020 NAB AFL Women's competition will stop immediately and no premiership cup will be awarded.
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan made the decision to also pause the AFL season until at least May 31 as the coronavirus pandemic continues.
FULL STATEMENT AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan on suspending the 2020 seasons
The decision was made on Sunday after Prime Minister Scott Morrision announced restrictions would be placed on travel.
"Today’s AFLW semi-final between Carlton and Brisbane Lions will be the last NAB AFL Women’s match to be played with the 2020 season ending today," McLachlan said.
"Given the twin conference structure and that the finals series was not completed, the AFL Commission has determined no premiership will be awarded for this season, following a recommendation from the AFL Executive."
McLachlan said the worsening situation and the decision by various State Governments to close their borders meant it was time for the AFL to immediately stop the AFL and AFLW competitions.
The AFL Executive discussed ways to potentially award a minor premiership of sorts, but ultimately accepted that not awarding a cup was the outcome that had to happen.
Major financial repercussions will be felt across both competitions, with discussions surrounding the next step for the League and clubs set to happen over the next 48 hours.
LATEST NEWS All your COVID-19 updates here
Last week the decision was made to stop the home and away season and jump straight into an AFLW finals series, but that lasted just one weekend before circumstances changed.
Fremantle, Carlton, North Melbourne and Melbourne had progressed to the preliminary finals, but those games will not be played now.
AFL Players' Association CEO Paul Marsh said in a statement that he understood the League's decision to suspend the AFL season and cancel the AFLW season, acknowledging the disappointment felt by the AFLW players.
"It was discussed with AFLW player delegates from all clubs last week as to their preferred finals structure and, after consultation, the majority view was to push to a top eight, knowing that there was a risk the competition might come to an early conclusion if the COVID-19 situation continued to intensify. Unfortunately, this is now the case," Marsh said.
"We congratulate all AFLW players on their contribution to the 2020 season."