COLLINGWOOD'S first father-daughter signing Tarni Brown and North Melbourne small forward Daisy Bateman are the round six NAB AFLW Rising Star nominees.
Brown joined brothers Callum and Tyler at Collingwood with pick No.19 via a nomination process in last year's NAB AFLW Draft, with the siblings' father Gavin having played 200 games for the Pies in the 1990s.
A relatively recent convert to football, the tough Brown predominantly played basketball before joining local club Donvale and then NAB League side Eastern Ranges.
This year, she has split her time between the half-forward line with occasional stints in the midfield, and her agility and composure under pressure has been impressive.
Against the Western Bulldogs, Brown was busy with 15 disposals, four marks, four score involvements, three clearances and a goal.
Bateman has the distinction of being North Melbourne's first ever draft pick, selected with No.25 in the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft.
Hailing from Whitehorse Colts and Oakleigh Chargers, Bateman also has a basketball background.
The 21-year-old has yet to miss a game for North Melbourne, with round six marking her 20th game at the top level.
The canny goalkicker is a constant threat up forward and a steady set shot, leading to dangerous spots and rarely quiet for an entire game.
Bateman starred against Richmond with two goals from her 14 disposals, taking three marks and recording six score involvements.
Players are eligible for the NAB AFLW Rising Star if they are 21 years and under as of 1 January, 2021, and have not been previously nominated.
Two players will be nominated per home-and-away round of the NAB AFLW season.
2021 NAB AFLW RISING STAR NOMINEES
- Belle Dawes (Brisbane), round one
- Tarni White (St Kilda), round one
- Tyla Hanks (Melbourne), round two
- Jess Fitzgerald (Western Bulldogs), round two
- Nat Grider (Brisbane), round three
- Abbie McKay (Carlton), round three
- Tyanna Smith (St Kilda), round four
- Becky Webster (Geelong), round four
- Mikayla Bowen (West Coast), round five
- Ellie McKenzie (Richmond), round five
- Daisy Bateman (North Melbourne), round six
- Tarni Brown (Collingwood), round six
Did you head to the footy over the weekend? Tell us your thoughts! Take the survey now